Phones are not only expensive to buy but they’re also extremely costly on the environment too. Most of the environmental impact of a smartphone comes from its manufacture- predominantly from mining precious metals and exotic materials. In fact, for the same amount of CO2 emissions to build a new phone you could power the one you have for around ten years.
So, from a personal and environmental perspective, it makes sense to treat your phone like the precious commodity it is and provide an extra layer of protection from damage. This is where protective phone cases come in.
A heart-in-mouth experience we’ve all had, it’s thought that the average person will drop their phone on average around seven times a year. Almost half of the phones broken from drops aren’t repaired, so by protecting your phone you’re doing yourself and nature a favour.
What to think about buying a phone case?
With so many phone case options available on the market, here a few things to consider when choosing one:
- Compatibility- is the phone case the right size for your phone, will it interfere with functions like wireless charging or inserting headphones? If you’re unsure, check with the manufacturer.
- Protection- How much protection do you need and will the case protect your phone and screen from those hair-raising drops? A case covering the corners, edges and back of your phone is your best bet. A good way of gauging protective capability is by reading product reviews online or left by previous customers.
- Usability - phone cases add extra bulk to your phone and might make it harder to grip or fit into your pocket. Also, are there any other useful features you might require, for example a kickstand?
- Environmental impact - like phones, making and disposing of phone cases has an environmental impact too. Many options are plastic-based and made in factories with low environmental and ethical standards, which is obviously not ideal.
- Style - perhaps the last thing to consider but there’s no harm in looking nice, as long as any styling doesn’t impact the above.
0% plastic, climate-positive mobile case
We’ve developed a robust hardcover case made from linseed plant waste produced by an ecologically certified farm in Sweden. We can proudly announce ours is the world’s first climate-positive mobile case, meaning that we offset more carbon than is produced in its manufacture.
Each case is 100% biodegradable and can be composted in your garden or, even better, as part of our closed-loop system returned to us and made into a new one.