How does plastic effect the environment?
Plastics are one of the most popular materials on Earth. Plastics have amazing properties and are indispensable for us humans. But we consume far too much of it, and often our consumption of plastics is entirely unnecessary. There’s approximately 8 billion tons of plastic on the planet. And once it’s made, it takes hundreds of year to decompose.
At A Good Company, we’re committed to not using new plastic in our entire supply chain.
• It takes between 500 to 1000 years for plastics to decompose. During this decomposition process, many harmful chemicals are released into the environment. Link: polluting the environment.
• Plastics are made from non-renewable raw materials. The majority of all plastics are polypropylene, which is made from gasoline and natural gas. Source: global climate change.
• The production of plastic is extremely energy-intensive. The production of 9 plastic bags requires the same amount of energy as driving a car for one kilometer. And the average plastic bag is used for a mere 12 minutes.
• Plastic is dangerous for both humans, animals and marine creatures. We've all seen the images and videos of how plastics ruin the environment and animal life. But don’t forget that plastics are bad for humans too!
In just ten years there will be more plastic than fish in our oceans. There are many great iniatives to clean our Ocean clean up that you should support!
If you’re curious about the impact of plastic, read more on Conserve Energy
1. Use a backpack or recycled bags when shopping for groceries.
2. Ensure to recycle all plastics.
3. Buy products from companies that use BPA-free plastics or environmentally friendly alternatives to traditional plastics.
1. We never use synthetic fabrics.
2. We avoid virgin plastics in our packaging - we use Stone Paper whenever possible.
3. All of us think about reducing plastic consumption in our daily lives.